Gnucash 2.0 RPMS for RHEL 4/CentOS 4.3?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Aug 12 16:26:11 EDT 2006

At Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:46:34 -0400 Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:
>
> > At Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:55:26 -0700 Steve Calabrese <gnucash at desertzephyr.net> wrote:
> >

> >> I had gnucash 1.8 running on CentOS 4.2, looking forward to trying v2 on
> >> CentOS 4.3.
> >
> > You should be sending this to the gnucash list. *I'm* not about to build
> > *official* Gnucash RPMs, although I might hack what I have and create a
> > set of 'unofficial' RPMs for my own use.
>
> Try http://people.redhat.com/notting/gnucash/

Nothing newer for RHEL 4 than the 1.8.12 release.  There is a FC5 RPM
for 2.0.0 release, but I don't think that will install on RHEL 4 and
don't know if the SRPM will build either.

I was able to build 2.0.0 from the tarball on a CentOS 4.3, after
installing g-wrap 1.3.4 and g-wrap-devel 1.3.4 (both from FC4 I think),
but the spec file in the 2.0.0 tarball is broken WRT a non FC distro.
I guess making a small ('brute force') hack to the spec file will get
me a set of RPMs *I* could install.  I am not enough of a spec file
hacker to do this with the finese to make the RPMs universally useful
(and I don't know if the g-wrap RPMs I installed are the ones that make
the most sense under RHel 4 -- I just picked something conservitive and
that rpm did not bitch about with -hiv --test). I understand that Bill
Nottingham did a test build of a set of RPMs but there was some problem
("failed the smoke-test").  I've not even bothered to download the 2.0.1
tarball -- I figure that sooner or latter a set of 2.0.1 RPMs for RHEL 4
will show up "Real Soon Now".

Although I was able to build and install (under /usr/local/...) 2.0.0
on a developmental CentOS 4.3 system, I'm still using 1.8.12 release
(installed from the 1.8.12-0.rhel4 rpms downloaded from
http://people.redhat.com/notting/gnucash/RHEL-4/i386/) on my production
system (now (finally) upgraded from RH 7.3 to CentOS 4.3).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration