Gnucash 2.0 RPMS for RHEL 4/CentOS 4.3?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 13 16:21:36 EDT 2006

Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:

> At Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:46:34 -0400 Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>

>> Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:

>> > You should be sending this to the gnucash list. *I'm* not about to build
>> > *official* Gnucash RPMs, although I might hack what I have and create a
>> > set of 'unofficial' RPMs for my own use.
>>
>> Try http://people.redhat.com/notting/gnucash/
>
> Nothing newer for RHEL 4 than the 1.8.12 release.  There is a FC5 RPM
> for 2.0.0 release, but I don't think that will install on RHEL 4 and
> don't know if the SRPM will build either.

I don't see why the SRPM wouldn't build...

> I was able to build 2.0.0 from the tarball on a CentOS 4.3, after
> installing g-wrap 1.3.4 and g-wrap-devel 1.3.4 (both from FC4 I think),
> but the spec file in the 2.0.0 tarball is broken WRT a non FC distro.
> I guess making a small ('brute force') hack to the spec file will get
> me a set of RPMs *I* could install.  I am not enough of a spec file

Yeah, the "problem" is that the RPM is looking for the fedora-release
RPM in order to determine the actual release number to put into the
package.  Arguably this should just be removed (or made optional).

> Although I was able to build and install (under /usr/local/...) 2.0.0
> on a developmental CentOS 4.3 system, I'm still using 1.8.12 release
> (installed from the 1.8.12-0.rhel4 rpms downloaded from
> http://people.redhat.com/notting/gnucash/RHEL-4/i386/) on my production
> system (now (finally) upgraded from RH 7.3 to CentOS 4.3).

Well, the code was designed to build on RHEL4, so I'm not at all
surprised that you can build it.  I'd have been extremely shocked
if you couldn't.

I do hope that Bill will decide to build RPMS for EL4 at some point.