download transactions?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 25 20:25:08 EDT 2006

On Aug 24, 2006, at 8:08 PM, warlord at MIT.EDU wrote:

> Quoting Steve Kelem <steve at kelem.net>:
>
>> How do I download transactions from my bank and my brokerage
>> accounts?
>> I see that there's something called HBCI, but I think that's for only
>> Germany, not the US.
>
> Correct.  In the US there is OFX Direct Connect.  GnuCash DOES support
> this, but you don't have the necessary support libraries to get it
> to work.  I can assure you that this is the case because you need
> an unreleased version of LibOFX to get OFX Direct Connect working.
>
> Once LibOFX 0.8.2 gets released (probably not for another month or
> more,
> unless you can convince Benoit to do it) then it should be relatively
> easy.   Supposedly...
>
> -derek

Now that libofx 0.8.2 is out (Yay!), ofx connections easier to set up
than ofx.py, but one still must look up the ofx server web address
manually in the files included with aqbanking.

OFXDirectConnect works well for bank account and credit card account
transaction downloads. But Aqbanking doesn't yet handle stock trades
in a useful way in conjunction with GnuCash.

So for brokerage accounts, one must use the Import->OFX/QFX facility
in GnuCash after obtaining the ofx file via external means. The two
external means I have used are downloads from brokerage web sites
that support "Downloads to Quicken" or "Quicken WebConnect" (as
distinct from DirectConnect); or by using ofx.py to download files.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net