Installing GnuCash 2.0 on Mac OS X

Rudye McGlothlin Rudye at LiquidOx.com
Tue Aug 29 00:57:58 EDT 2006

Everyone,

After several weeks of brooding over it, and a few intense evenings
trying everything that I could think of, I have gotten GnuCash 2.0
compiled on my PowerBook!  Everything seems to be working, and I want to
thank the developers for the phenomenal effort.  Thank you!

I started, of course, with these instructions...
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation but there were a few
pieces of info missing or that my limited experience couldn't provide.
So here is my errata.  If you think its worthwhile, I'll make an effort
to add to the wiki.  Let me know if I should.

1.  The first issue I encountered was that the manually downloaded
g-wrap-1.9.6 couldn't find guile16 that fink installed.  The solution is
further in the instructions.  Executing this line:

$ export PATH=/sw/share/guile/1.6/scripts/binoverride:$PATH

before doing the g-wrap ./configure solves it.  I recommend that step be
moved up to before the g-wrap section.

2.  There is no information here about where g-wrap needs to be.  Mine
ended up in /sw/etc .  Frankly, I don't know how.  It became clear that
it needs to be in /sw/bin .  At least, g-wrap.configure must be in
/sw/bin .  I tried several ways to get g-wrap to compile into that
directory (--prefix didn't work), but I finally just manually moved all
the g-wrap files.

3.  GnuCash needed more information about the location of g-wrap/guile.
I had to change the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to include the
location of /g-wrap-1.9.6/guile.  In my case I did this: export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/bin/g-wrap-1.9.6/guile:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH .

4.  That took care of getting GnuCash to compile.  Note, however, that
the instructions say that the line:

./autogen.sh ; ./configure --with-g-wrap-prefix=/sw
--enable-compile-warnings ; make ; sudo make install

will install in the /usr/local directory.  This wasn't the case on my
computer.  GnuCash installed right were it was...
~/Documents/src/gnuCash/src/bin/gnucash .  I suppose there is someway to
erase it and force it to compile in the right place, but I don't think
I'm up to it.

Regards,
Rudye