Invoice issues

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Tue Dec 5 04:25:13 EST 2006

Hi all,

To add to a long-standing issue in GnuCash: the problems with
paid/unpaid invoices, incorrect totals, etc. Maybe this can help.

What I have done (GnuCash 1.8.11).

I have a customer with a dozen or so invoices in my accounts. Today I
had to correct an invoice of them, including the payment for it (the
payments for their invoices do not go to my bank account, but to a
transit account as I also have bills from the same customer).

So what I have done:
- I entered the invoice, and posted it.
- I processed the payment for this invoice. It was now marked "paid".
(a month or so later)
- add a new invoice the the same customer, and post it. Did payment for
that one, and it becomes marked as "paid".
- manually deleted the payments of the last two invoices, the green tick
mark for "paid" is gone for both invoices, as expected.
- opened the old invoice, and un-posted it.
- corrected the amount (the new amount was lower than the original).
- post invoice with the original date, which was late Oct.
- process payment for the invoice. And now it goes wrong: the OLD amount
is given in the process payment dialogue. When manually changing to the
correct amount, the invoice is not "paid" - I have to have a payment for
the full amount to get back the tick mark.

I have not tried to reproduce this behaviour as I don't want to mess up
more than it is messed up already. I hope this description is helpful
for the bug hunting.

Wouter.