End of Year

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 7 10:31:42 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 08:55:30AM -0600, Cameron Thorne wrote:
> Does anyone on the list who uses the business subsystem run any sort
> of End Of Year on their file?  How do you do it?  January 1st is fast
> approaching, but I fear I will have to keep chugging along with a 5MiB
> file as time goes on, adding about 170KiB/month. :(

I face the same dilemna with no real good solution as to what to do
with the invoices and other business things. I also like to to year to
year comparisons and need monthly summary transactions archived in the
current file with copies of past year stuff broken out into another
file.

All I can say is I sympathise. One idea I have to actually create
three files (well more actually, but three illustrates it). One file
is a straight-out copy of last years information. One file is a new
file for this years information and monthly summaries of last
year. One file is a new file with just the monthly summaries. This
last file is used to generate the new file for NEXT year. This is done
by summarising this year's data into monthly summaries and adding to
the file, saving a copy for use the year after next... (phew).

just thinking aloud.