Configuring Gnucash for a French UI]

Spel spelya at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 13 19:32:54 EST 2006

Hello,

Combining your suggestions, and some other approaches I experimented,
here is what I came out with.

What I like about your suggestion of setting LANG=fr_FR is that I would
get a French UI, and account trees and chart of accounts would be in
French where required, with the inconvenience that I have to override
the default Euro currency every time.  On the other hand editing the
sysconfig as suggested might interfere with other applications that
actually work properly in either language.

So here is what I came out with:

    1.  Using Kmenuedit, I created a second Gnucash menu item where the
    command to launch is changed from "gnucash %f" to "LANG=fr_CA
    gnucash %f" (note that it automatically changed the Gnome
    "Applications" menu accordingly).
    2.  In the "/usr/share/gnucash/accounts" I copied the sub-directory
    fr_FR to fr_CA, in order to get a French translation of the chart of
    accounts that I could adapt to Canadian standards

Now using that usual menu item I get an English chart of account in
dollars, and using the second menu item I get a French translated chart
of account in dollars.  What I still have to do is to edit the
gnucash/accounts/fr_CA to bring them to Nortn American Standards.

It works for me,and I hope this could be considered my little contribution .

Again thanks for your help.

Serge