Configuring Gnucash for a French UI]

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Thu Dec 14 13:38:44 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 19:32 -0500, Spel wrote:
> So here is what I came out with:
>
>     1.  Using Kmenuedit, I created a second Gnucash menu item where the
>     command to launch is changed from "gnucash %f" to "LANG=fr_CA
>     gnucash %f" (note that it automatically changed the Gnome
>     "Applications" menu accordingly).

Yeah, that's about right.  We should really put this (and a related
suggestion to write a `$HOME/bin/gnucash-in-lang` shell-script that does
the same time) in the FAQ.

>     2.  In the "/usr/share/gnucash/accounts" I copied the sub-directory
>     fr_FR to fr_CA, in order to get a French translation of the chart of
>     accounts that I could adapt to Canadian standards
>
> Now using that usual menu item I get an English chart of account in
> dollars, and using the second menu item I get a French translated chart
> of account in dollars.  What I still have to do is to edit the
> gnucash/accounts/fr_CA to bring them to Nortn American Standards.

Certainly, mucking around with files in the installation on your
filesystem isn't advised.  It'd be better -- both more permanent and
more useful to everyone else -- if you can send us the translated
accounts hierarchy when you're done, and we can add it to the
distribution.

--
...jsled