Still trying to compile 2.0 on Ubuntu Edgy

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Dec 17 13:20:09 EST 2006

Quoting Robert Ramsdell <rcriii at ramsdells.net>:

> On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 10:34 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>

>> This isn't 2.0, this is trunk, which will be 2.1.  For 2.0 you
>> want /repo/gnucash/branches/2.0
>
> Do you recommend sticking with 2.0?  Otherwise I'm happy to get the
> latest version.

It depends.  If you want to use real data, then I recommend sticking with 2.0.
If you're willing to potentially lose your data, then go ahead and
test trunk.

>> This is probably a result of the Debian/Ubuntu broken libtool where
>> it doesn't pull in implicit dependencies.
>
> Is there a workaround?

Install a distribution that doesn't break libtool?   I recommend Fedora
or Gentoo.

>> Another possibility is that you have a different version installed and
>> it's finding the wrong version of libraries.  For example, why does
>> your error message mention /usr/local/lib/gnucash/libgncmod-gnome-utils.so.0
>> during the build stage?  What version of the library IS this?
>
> I do have Gnucash 2.0.2 (svn r15022) installed, that I compiled under
> Dapper.  Should I uninstall it?

Um.   YES!   Duh!  Especially if you installed it into /usr/local!
I always recommend --prefix=/opt/gnucash