Gnucash 2.0.3 on Slackware 11.0: Success

J. Milgram milgram at cgpp.com
Sun Dec 17 15:57:20 EST 2006

Holy guacamole, it works. It actually required fewer hours to figure out
than in the past (I won't say the number) because all the Gnome
dependencies are nicely taken care of by Dropline (and I guess also by
Gnucash becoming a Gnome 2 app).

Unfortunately I didn't take very careful notes but here's a rough
outline.

1) fresh Slack 11 installation
2) full dropline install
3) removepkg guile-1.8.0-i486-1
4) install guile 1.6.8 from sources
5) install g-wrap 1.3.4 from sources
6) install slib 2d6
7) ./configure && make && make install.

I found that the guile 1.8.0 that Slackware 11 ships with created
problems. Problems too with g-wrap 1.9.x and slib 3a4. Maybe I wasn't
doing something right with them but at this point I'm happy to declare
victory.

This two-line script was useful for checking out the guile/g-wrap/slib
installation:

guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'printf)"
guile -c "(use-modules (g-wrap))"

... without having to re-run gnucash's configure script over and over.

Speaking of which, gnucash configure didn't bomb even though I had a
broken g-wrap-config (needed to re-install g-wrap after re-installing
guile). g-wrap-config was bombing with messages like "/usr/bin/guile:
bad interpreter" because it was now in /usr/local/bin/guile. Took me a
while to figure this out - would have been useful for the configure
script to stop then and there because sooner or later the build fails
when it can't find the g-wrap headers. Just a suggestion.

Thank again to the Gnucash developers, and the Dropline Gnome folks
too, and Patrick V.

-- Judah

Judah Milgram        milgram at cgpp.com
P.O. Box 8376, Langley Park, MD 20787