Invoice negative amount (aka credit memo)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 20 19:06:32 EST 2006

Quoting Bill Broomall <billb at quantumlinux.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded to v. 2.0.1 from 1.8.x.  In the past, when I have
> needed to issue a customer a credit memo, I have simply created an
> invoice with a negative amount.  I find now that this is no longer
> possible.

It should never have been possible.  It was a bug in 1.8 that it
didn't stop you.  The code never handled it, and it would cause
problems.  I'm very surprised that it ever worked for you.

> Every accounting package I have ever used (and there are quite a few)
> has made some provision for issuing a credit to a customer - either via
> a negative invoice, or a credit memo (which from a ledger perspective is
> just a fancy term for a negative invoice).  Does anyone have any
> suggestions on how this can be (easily) done in 2.0.1?  Posting a
> "payment" and then doing a journal entry to adjust seems a bit cumbersome.

Sorry, but that's all there is at the moment.