Invoice negative amount (aka credit memo)

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Dec 21 03:42:00 EST 2006

On Thursday 21 December 2006 00:00, Bill Broomall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded to v. 2.0.1 from 1.8.x.  In the past, when I have
> needed to issue a customer a credit memo, I have simply created an
> invoice with a negative amount.  I find now that this is no longer
> possible.
>
> Every accounting package I have ever used (and there are quite a few)
> has made some provision for issuing a credit to a customer - either via
> a negative invoice, or a credit memo (which from a ledger perspective is
> just a fancy term for a negative invoice).  Does anyone have any
> suggestions on how this can be (easily) done in 2.0.1?  Posting a
> "payment" and then doing a journal entry to adjust seems a bit cumbersome.
>
> TIA,
> Bill

Hi Bill,

I handle credits by unposting the invoice in question, adding a new line to
the invoice to show the negative total for the credit, and then re-post with
the credit applied directly to the invoice in question - as long as the
invoice remains positive, it works.

Still cumbersome, but maybe less so than your method?

HTH,
Maf.