Preventing the "Imbalance-*" accounts from getting used.

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 22 15:19:53 EST 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 12:41:29PM -0500, Donald Allen wrote:
> I too would like to add my voice to the opinions already stated by Adam and
> Maf. The current method in 2.0.2 I find much less intuitive than it could
> be, and I think Adam has it right that gnucash shouldn't let go of you until
> you've entered a balanced transaction (I also have the impression that
> 1.8.xbehaved that way). As things stand, there are ways to innocently
> leave a
> transaction unbalanced (e.g., hitting 'enter' at the wrong time) and you
> only realize you've done so when you look at the accounts page and see a
> non-zero balance in the imbalance account.

The behavior that I keep expecting, but not getting, is that when I
have edited all but the last split in a transaction, it would apply
any imbalance to the last split -- the current register. I seen to
recall this in 1.8.x and it maybe a configuration thing, or maybe a
dialog that I asked it to stop bugging me about...

regardless, for *my* purposes, the vast majority of transactions are
one liners, recalled automatically, with the amount changed. It would
be nice if I only had to change the one amount and the other happened
automatically.

.02

happy hanna-kwanza-solsti-stmas