gnucash-2.0.3 problem

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sun Dec 31 18:58:41 EST 2006

Ariel wrote:

> I don't have the solution for you, but I have a few comments, I hope
> they help, at least a little.
>
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Graeme Nichols wrote:
>
>> The rpm package gnucash-2.0.3-1.FC4.i386.rpm got built. It took a fair
>> time and I saw a lot of warnings flash by that I couldn't read properly
>> but there were no errors.
>

> Next time run the command: script, then the compile, and then type exit.
> The resulting file will be called typescript, and you can check all the
> errors in it.
>
>> When I tried to install the package, using the following command:
>>
>> [root at barney i386]# rpm -Uvh gnucash-2.0.3-1.FC4.i386.rpm
>> rpmdb: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version
>> error: db4 error(-30974) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database
>> environment version mismatch
>> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30974)
>> warning: cannot open Solve database in
>> /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>         /usr/local/bin/perl is needed by gnucash-2.0.3-1.FC4.i386
>

>> /usr/local/bin/perl exists (it is a binary file).
>

> It could be some large problem with rpm, I don't know, I don't use rpm,
> but it looks bad. On the other hand it could simply be the issue with
> /usr/local/bin/perl - even though the file exists, rpm doesn't know
> about it since it was not installed by rpm, you installed it manually.
>
> You could tell rpm to ignore dependencies, you could create a 'dummy'
> package containing /usr/local/bin/perl, or you could edit the gnucash
> rpm to remove that dependency. rpm is rightfully complaining that
> gnucash needs perl (does it really?), but perl is not installed (as far
> as rpm goes). Maybe install perl properly (via rpm) and then rebuild
> gnucash.
>
> BTW: installing stuff manually is a good way to break package
> management, try to migrate any you have already done.
>
>     -Ariel

Hello Ariel, thank you. I do have some stuff that was installed manually
simply because no .rpm binary package or .src.rpm source package was
available. Mostly applications, *not* libraries or utilities or anything
like that. However perl has been installed via a binary rpm package and
is version 5.8.6. See below:

[graeme at barney ~]$ rpm -qi perl
Name        : perl                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 5.8.6                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 15                            Build Date: Thu 19 May 2005
08:48:29 EST
Install Date: Sat 13 Aug 2005 14:50:06 EST      Build Host:
decompose.build.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM:
perl-5.8.6-15.src.rpm
Size        : 28807956                         License: Artistic or GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 21 May 2005 03:20:46 EST, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.perl.org/
Summary     : The Perl programming language.
Description :
Perl is a high-level programming language with roots in C, sed, awk
and shell scripting.  Perl is good at handling processes and files,
and is especially good at handling text.  Perl's hallmarks are
practicality and efficiency.  While it is used to do a lot of
different things, Perl's most common applications are system
administration utilities and web programming.  A large proportion of
the CGI scripts on the web are written in Perl.  You need the perl
package installed on your system so that your system can handle Perl
scripts.

Install this package if you want to program in Perl or enable your
system to handle Perl scripts.
[graeme at barney ~]$

I might have to install gnucash ./configure; make; make install and see
how things go.

But first, I will re-install rpmbuild.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,