gnucash-2.0.3 problem

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sun Dec 31 22:50:06 EST 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Why do you have a /usr/local/bin/perl?  FC4 has perl, and it's
> /usr/bin/perl.
> It sounds to me like your system isn't a full RPM-based FC4 system.
> It sounds like you've got some other hand-installed stuff elsewhere
> that's breaking your system, including, perhaps, a version of rpmbuild
> that doesn't match your version of rpm.
>
> -derek

Hello Derek,

Ariel put me on the right track as well. /usr/local/bin/perl was the
culprit. Removing it allowed me to build and install the binary .rpm
package with no problems. This version is something to behold after the
very old version I was using.

Thank you and all the best for the new year.

Regards,

Graeme.

> Quoting Ariel <asgnucash at dsgml.com>:
>

>> I don't have the solution for you, but I have a few comments, I hope they
>> help, at least a little.
>>
>> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Graeme Nichols wrote:
>>
>>> The rpm package gnucash-2.0.3-1.FC4.i386.rpm got built. It took a fair
>>> time and I saw a lot of warnings flash by that I couldn't read properly
>>> but there were no errors.
>>

>> Next time run the command: script, then the compile, and then type exit.
>> The resulting file will be called typescript, and you can check all the
>> errors in it.
>>
>>> When I tried to install the package, using the following command:
>>>
>>> [root at barney i386]# rpm -Uvh gnucash-2.0.3-1.FC4.i386.rpm
>>> rpmdb: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version
>>> error: db4 error(-30974) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database
>>> environment version mismatch
>>> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30974)
>>> warning: cannot open Solve database in
>>> /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat
>>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>>         /usr/local/bin/perl is needed by gnucash-2.0.3-1.FC4.i386
>>

>>> /usr/local/bin/perl exists (it is a binary file).
>>

>> It could be some large problem with rpm, I don't know, I don't use rpm,
>> but it looks bad. On the other hand it could simply be the issue with
>> /usr/local/bin/perl - even though the file exists, rpm doesn't know about
>> it since it was not installed by rpm, you installed it manually.
>>
>> You could tell rpm to ignore dependencies, you could create a 'dummy'
>> package containing /usr/local/bin/perl, or you could edit the gnucash rpm
>> to remove that dependency. rpm is rightfully complaining that gnucash
>> needs perl (does it really?), but perl is not installed (as far as rpm
>> goes). Maybe install perl properly (via rpm) and then rebuild gnucash.
>>
>> BTW: installing stuff manually is a good way to break package management,
>> try to migrate any you have already done.
>>
>>     -Ariel

Kind regards,

Graeme.
Download my GnuPG public key from:-