Problems retrieving share prices

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Wed Feb 1 10:25:06 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 18:53 +1100, Leslie Katz wrote:

> Well, I did that (or so I thought). I issued the command
> "dump-finance-quote". It worked. I got output telling me the usage and
> available sources.
>
> It's only while trying some more to figure out what was wrong that I
> decided to issue instead the command "dump-finance-quote asx agl".
>
>  From that, I got the following output:
>
> "The query for AGL failed!!
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
> symbol: AGL <=== required
> date: ** missing ** <=== required

This is the key line.  Gnucash requires a date as part of the quote and
ASX doesn't appear to be returning one.  ASX is offline at the moment
(at least I can't reach it), but I checked the F::Q test scripts and ASX
is one of the few quote sources where the date isn't tested.

You could try pulling these quotes from yahoo.  Try "dump-finance-quote
yahoo_australia AGL" or "dump-finance-quote yahoo AGL.AX".

David