Importing OFX/QFX files not working

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Thu Feb 2 19:49:54 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:42:27PM -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
> File/Import/Import qxf/oxf menu item.  Then I browse for my file and I get a
> new window listing all the transactions found, but it is empty.

Is it possible that you have already imported the transactions from
that file?  i.e. look at the relevant accounts to see if the
transactions you saw when you looked at the file by hand are already
in your chart of accounts somewhere.

I believe the way the qxf/oxf importer works is that if you try to
import the same set of transactions twice, it doesn't list the
ones that you've already imported.

I use this to my advantage at the end of the year when I'm closing
out my books, but I have Credit Card statements that span December
and January.  For my first import, I un-check the January transactions,
then I close my books, then I re-import the same statement.  The
second time it only lists the January transactions.  (If I were to
do it a third time, it would list no transactions.)

Another thing to test this theory would be to start a brand new chart
of accounts and try to import your file again.  If it works in the new
chart of accounts, then your transactions are probably "in there
somewhere" but the accounts got matched to an unexpected place.

This may not be your problem, but it's something to try.
--Beth