Printing in different language

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 13 11:32:28 EST 2006

Quoting Laurent Duperval <lduperval at videotron.ca>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Which invoice?  The Printable Invoice or Fancy Invoice?
>

> It's the Printable Invoice. You are right, I am using 1.8.11.
>
>> What version of gnucash?  There is no 1.9.11 -- do you mean 1.8.11?
>> It's quite possible that there are parts of the invoice that
>> just haven't been translated.
>>

> Oh.... Hmmm, is there a thing somewhere that explains how translation works?

There are three possible problems:

1) A string is not marked for translation.
2) A string is marked for translation but the code never translates it.
3) A string is marked for translation, the code translates it, but the
   localization file has no translation for the string.

Problems 1 and 2 are developer problems.  Problem 3 is a translator problem.
I'd need to know what strings are not being translated, and what your locale
is.

You can check the state yourself by opening up the gnucash.mo file
for your locale and searching for the (english) string.  If you do not
find the string in the translation file, then it's case #1.  If you
find it in the translation file but there is no translation, it's case
#3.  If you find it in the translation file but there IS a translation,
then it's case #2.

I'll note that no work is being done on 1.8, so any bugs (code or translation)
can only get fixed in 1.9.   BUT it would still be useful to see what's
missing.
A case #1 or case #2 situation may still exist so it should be best to
verify which case we're in for each string that's not translated.

I hope this helps,