Debian packages of gnucash 1.9/2.0?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 26 11:39:33 EST 2006

Derrick Hudson <dman at dman13.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:18:00AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> | Derrick Hudson <dman at dman13.dyndns.org> writes:
> |
> | > I agree - knowing how builds work is helpful.  Still, it's handy if
> | > the 'experimental' archive had a 'gnucash-1.9' package one could
> | > trivially install alongside a working 1.8 and try it out.
> |
> | See, that's another issue...  Installing "along-side" can
> | be... challenging.
>
> Indeed.  :-)  Gnucash has a dense enough dependency graph that I can
> imagine it will not be a trivial undertaking.

That's not the problem..  The problem is that there are no
versioning methods for scheme modules, so if gnucash-1.8 scheme
code is sitting in your load path where gnucash-1.9 can find
it... Boom!

> If it turns to not be feasible, then those who have important
> financial data handled by gnucash won't be able to do any testing
> unless they have a separate system (physical or just virutal).

It's feasible, just challenging.   Then again I would never suggest
using real financial data in 1.9, yet..  You should always backup
your data before trying 1.9.