blank register report

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 28 13:20:02 EST 2006

Eric,

Quoting Eric Beversluis <econophil at charter.net>:

> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:12 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Well, there are options under your general preferences..  But
>> if all your accounts are in US and you're running in a US locale,
>> then it's not the issue.  Can you confirm this assumption, please?
> Yes to both: all in USD and running in US locale.

Okay...

>> I'm afraid that without a test case there's very little I can do for you.
> I can try to set up another account and enter some fake data and see if
> the problem arises. But since it doesn't arise in any of my other
> existing accounts, I doubt if it will.

I dont know.  Sorry.  I do hope you could create a test file...

>> > Assuming the register is somehow corrupted: Would there be any way to
>> > export the transactions from this account, delete the account and its
>> > transactions, recreate the account and reimport all the transactions?
>> > Otherwise I'll just have to live without using this report--as your
>> > situation suggests, it's not a key report, since you don't ever use it.
>>
>> It wouldn't be the register that's corrupted; it would be the account
>> and/org transactions.
> Is there an underlying database of some sort where I could look to
> compare this account with the others and see if anything there is
> different?  What I see when  I go to the "Edit Account" dialog box is
> exactly the same for this account and for those that work right.

Your data file is just an XML file.  You can open it in any editor.
(It may be gzip'ed, so you may need to gunzip it first).

It's more the contents of the register that would be important.

>>  Does gnucash print anything on the terminal when you run the report?
> ?I don't have a terminal open, just the GnuCash gui and Gnome. When I
> run GnuCash from the terminal it opens the same gui. When I run the
> report and go back to the terminal I see this:
>
> [ericb at 192 ericb]$ gnucash
> (0.0335s) [list] -*-helvetica-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1 --> 40
> (0.0011s) [load] -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1 -->
> 0x8174d88
> (0.1393s) [load] -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1 -->
> 0x840f9d8
>
> When I close GnuCash there is nothing more added. Just returns me to my
> prompt.

Okay, those messages are normal (I get them all the time).  The fact that
nothing else is printed means that gnucash isn't hitting any particular error.
It's just not finding any data for your report.

> Since it's hardly prudent for me to send my financial records to a
> stranger, I think I'll just have to live with this problem unless I
> decide to reenter all the transactions in a new account.

Well, you're running code that I (and others) wrote, so at some level
you already trust me with your financial data.  ;)   If you did want to
send me your data, you ARE welcome to send it privately (to me directly, not
to the list)..  Or you're welcome to PGP encrypt it to me.  But that's
all up to you.

Another option is to try building gnucash-1.9.1 to see if that fixes the
problem.  However I dont know if this particlar report changed since 1.8.9
so it may just be a lot of effort to determine that it's still broken.