Cannot Build Successfully on Slackware-10.2

Rich Shepard rshepard at twodogs.us
Mon Jan 2 11:45:19 EST 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Mark Johnson wrote:

> When I upgraded my Slackware 10.0 system to 10.2, my gnucash wouldn't run
> either. I traced this to a problem with the Slackware 10.2 gdk-pixbuf
> package. It does not contain the library libgnomecanvaspixbuf.so. However,
> when I built this package from the source, that library did build. (I
> posted this to a slackware news group, but never heard anything back as to
> how to report it. If you know where to repor it, let me know.)

Mark,

    I found, built, and installed gdk-pixbuf.

> I did have to remove all the "DESTDIR=xxx" lines from the Makefile's to get
> this to build and install in a tmp directory so that I could make a
> Slackware package out of it.

    Using checkinstall (the crippled version provided with the Slack distro)
instead of 'make install' creates a shell package that installs the
library/application and adds the name to /var/log/packages.

> After that, my gnucash ran.  I did not rebuild any of the dependencies
> after the upgrade either. Some of them on my system are Slackware 8.1
> binaries.

    I seem to be back in the gnome dependency hell. Trying to configure
gnucash-1.8.12 after getting the gdk-pixbuf installed, it dies because it
cannot find 'gal.' When I try to configure that library, it dies because
there is "No package 'libgnomeprint-2.2' found". Sigh.

    I'm very, very disappointed. I may have to move to one of the
eye-candy-bloated Qt based application such as KMyMoney (a too-cute name) or
QHacc (another app with gratuitious eye candy images that have no
functionality.)

Nuts,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"