Cannot Build Successfully on Slackware-10.2

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 2 17:47:56 EST 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Mark Johnson wrote:
>
>> I did have to remove all the "DESTDIR=xxx" lines from the Makefile's
>> to get
>> this to build and install in a tmp directory so that I could make a
>> Slackware package out of it.
>

>    Using checkinstall (the crippled version provided with the Slack
> distro)
> instead of 'make install' creates a shell package that installs the
> library/application and adds the name to /var/log/packages.

I was not aware of this.  I have been doing something like:
DESTDIR=`pwd`/tmp make install
then using makepkg and installpkg.

>    I seem to be back in the gnome dependency hell. Trying to configure
> gnucash-1.8.12 after getting the gdk-pixbuf installed, it dies because it
> cannot find 'gal.' When I try to configure that library, it dies because
> there is "No package 'libgnomeprint-2.2' found". Sigh.

I think you are back in dependency hell. This has cued my memory a bit.

When I did my upgrade I followed the Slackware directions.  This uses
upgradepkg, which simply replaces similarly named packages with the new
ones.  Sometimes these packages are meant to co-exist.  This is
frequently the case with gnome.

For example, I have the following 3 gal packages installed:
gal-0.24-pentium2-1mrj
gal-1.99.11-i486-1mrj
gal-2.4.1-i486-1mrj

Probably the slackware upgrade wiped out an older one, and replaced it
with a newer one which does not suffice as a gnucash dependency.  The
0.24 one is the one required for gnucash.

I have two libgnomeprint packages:
libgnomeprint-2.6.1-i486-1
libgnomeprintui-2.6.1-i486-1
These are from Slackware 10.0 (my version before my upgrade).  I did not
remove gnome when I upgraded.

Plus I have this:
gnome-print-0.36-pentium2-1mrj
I believe this is actually the gnucash prerequisite.  It does contain a
libgnomeprint, and it is this one you need.

In this case, the much newer versions included with my slackware did not
suffice for gnucash.  I expect that your upgrade removed/replaced the
older versions needed by gnucash.

>    I'm very, very disappointed. I may have to move to one of the
> eye-candy-bloated Qt based application such as KMyMoney (a too-cute
> name) or
> QHacc (another app with gratuitious eye candy images that have no
> functionality.)
>
> Nuts,
>
> Rich

Mark