heavy data loss upon new install of SuSE 10.0

Bob W. Anderson bobdove at isp.com
Tue Jan 3 19:38:02 EST 2006

The backup of my /home folder contains 61 files labeled
"checking".     When I brought up the new GnuCash 1.8.9, it gave me all my
data before 2005, but included only electronically deposited items for 2005.
The "checking" files in my restored /home folder may hold the data I need,
but the amounts are encrypted so I can't read them.

Is there any way I can have the new 1.8.9  retrieve my missing data?
If so, will the restored data somehow integrate with my mostly-reentered stuff
that I have put in the last two weeks, or will there be conflicts/problems?

BTW, with the new install, I have also found that Firefox 1.5 and Evolution
2.4.0  were also not working.   I think these are all Gnu based programs too.
Is there something I haven't  turned on or misconfigured , or might I have
just received a bad disc?

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Bob in Newport