heavy data loss upon new install of SuSE 10.0

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 4 10:15:16 EST 2006

It sounds like you're not using the most recent data file after
the update.  You will need to tell GnuCash the actual name
of your data file.

There will be a lot of <datafile>.<DATE>.xac files that exist
as backup files..  (and ...log files that are transaction logs).
These can and should be ignored, unless you did something to
manually access one of them.

My only suggestion is:

  ls -lt checking* | head -10

...and figure out which is the most recent file...  Assuming you
didn't rename the file to something else.

-derek