Recording foreign cash purchases

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 3 19:27:49 EST 2006

if you want to keep track of the amount but dont want a separate
set of accounts, you should just create a standard Asset account
with current USD, and then just make your expense transactions
from the USD account to the GBP account..  The problem with this
approach is that you need to keep track of your exchange rate
for every expense, instead of only when you convert the money
from GBP to USD.

Having USD expense accounts is really the right solution.

-derek