Recording foreign cash purchases

Julian Gilbey jdg at polya.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 3 21:00:01 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 07:27:49PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> if you want to keep track of the amount but dont want a separate
> set of accounts, you should just create a standard Asset account
> with current USD, and then just make your expense transactions
> from the USD account to the GBP account..  The problem with this
> approach is that you need to keep track of your exchange rate
> for every expense, instead of only when you convert the money
> from GBP to USD.

I tried this but was not able to get GnuCash to recognise a
transaction from a USD Asset account to a GBP Expense account.
Weird.

> Having USD expense accounts is really the right solution.

I can understand that, but this is a relatively rare event, and so I'd
prefer to have just one set of accounts, even if it's a little more
work to enter the data.

Thanks!

   Julian