Investment register

David Buck dbuck at nf.sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 4 12:12:55 EST 2006

I am a gnucash newbie and just in the process of setting up my accounts
and opening balances. I am using gnucash 1.8.10-12 on a debian i386
platform and as far as I am aware my installation went flawlessly using
apt-get.
I have progressed to the point of entering investments and am not sure
whether I have problem or not. The situation is as follows:
I have entered my stock details in the appropriate boxes and now have
the particular stock account set up as a sub account of Investments.
I have opened the account and entered the number of shares I hold, the
account the associated funds are transferred from to pay for them, and
the cost per share. In tabbing forward the program then calculates the
transaction and records the results  as shown below:
Description	Transfer R	Shares	Price	Debit Credit Balance
Opening Bal.	Inv. Brokr.	4000	.0895	358.00	     4000.00

The appropriate amount of 358.00 has been taken from my Brok. Acct.
the value for the asset on my General Ledger shows up as 4000 CQV
and the value of the Investment Account is still 0.00.

I don't understand how or why the balance is shown as 4000.00. Is this
the correct result I should be getting or is there some setting that I
have missed. I would have thought the balance would be the running total
of the dollar value of the stock.

Any help would be appreciated