Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Jan 4 12:47:06 EST 2006

[PLEASE CC: the mailing list so others/archive/search-engines/searchers
benefit...]

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 10:20 -0700, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> Please advise. My wife runs her business from her Compaq laptop running
> WinXPhome, and would love to be able to access my gnucash installation on
> our home linux box.
>
> How would I set up her WinXPhome installation so she could access gnucash
> running downstairs?

In summary:
  - run an X server on the windows box
  - ssh from windows to linux
  - run gnucash on the linux box
  - let ssh tunnel the X-windows traffic through back to x windows
    on the windows box.

In short:

1/ install cygwin on the windows box
   - specifically needed: bash, openssh, x server

2/ On the windows box:

  Start > Run... > bash
  bash$ startx & # I've never done this, so this is handwave-y.
  bash$ ssh -X user at linuxbox
  Password: [login]

3/ On linux box (via ssh):

  bash$ gnucash &

At this point, gnucash should start displaying in the X Server on the
windows box, but running on the linux box.

For more info: http://www.google.com/search?q=remote+x+windows+howto

[Note that this has nothing to do with gnucash in particular, so I'll
probably ignore followup questions about it in this forum; your
distribution's support channels will probably be more useful.]

--
...jsled