Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

Tim Wunder tim at thewunders.org
Wed Jan 4 13:31:42 EST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 12:36 pm, someone claiming to be Bill Wohler
wrote:
> ben-gnucash at xig.net writes:
> > 2.  Or  install GnuCash on a Linux server and display the X session
> >     using (this seems like it should work - any experiences?)
>
> Yes. I used Hummingbird 10 years ago. If it worked then, it'll work now.
> I've heard about Cygwin/X. Give it a whirl.
>
> #4 Install VMWare and install a Linux client within it. (Although the
>  safer alternative is to install Linux on the host, and then install
>  one or more Windows clients within VMWare. So if Windows crashes, it
>  doesn't take down the rest of your system.)

I access gnucash that runs on my FC4 desktop/server machine from WinXP using
FreeNX/nx. FreeNX uses optimized X over ssh. Running it remotely over the
internet is amazingly responsive. I run my KDE desktop remotely over a 384K
DSL line with hardly any lag.

This is how I configured FreeNX originally on my FC2 system. Current FreeNX/nx
is much easier to set up.
http://www.linux-sxs.org/guis/FreeNX_on_FC2.html
If you do it this way, be sure to install all the fonts from nomachine.

Other links
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/freenx/
http://www.nomachine.com/

HTH,
Tim

--
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
KDE: 3.5.0-4.0.fc4.kde, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2