improper invoice payments work-around

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Sun Jan 8 14:09:13 EST 2006

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:18:31 +0100
Johan van Oostrum <jo.vanoost at wanadoo.nl> wrote:

> Sometimes I found payments do not result in the right invoices marked
> as paid. Looks like the same problem has been reported more than once
> in the mailing list but no real soluting other than explanation of the
> FIFO payment processing.
> Checking the code I found that this glitch seems to be caused by
> invoices for the same customer having the same date due.
>
> You can track in dialog_payment.c[gnc_payment_ok_cb],
> gncInvoice.c[gncOwnerAplyPayment], [gnc_lot_sort_func]
> [gncInvoiceGetDateDue] and Transaction.c[xaccTransRetDateDueTS].
>
> As the order of invoices having same date due might not be really the
> FIFO order, as time is not taken into account, the wrong, i.e. a
> younger,  invoice might get marked as paid over the right, i.e. older,
> invoice.
>
> So, if you have multiple invoices with the same customer, make sure
> that you have them one day differing in date due and, just to be sure,
> maybe date posted too. Hopefully some users can use this to get the
> payments attributed to the right invoice(s).

IIRC, the invoice handling is NOT FIFO, but more like a bucket. all the amounts get accumulated into one total for the customer/vendor. You are really just paying down that total amount, not paying off specific invoices. I think the little check-marks that show which invoice is paid are merely to show how far back you are(?).