Cash vs Accrual Accounting and Cygwin/X

ben-gnucash at xig.net ben-gnucash at xig.net
Sun Jan 8 20:47:14 EST 2006

1.  Liz, I HUGELY appreciate learning that gnucash only does accrual
accounting before we tried to figure out too hard how to make cash work.

2.  On the other hand, I don't like your solution at all.  For instance,
if you "miss" something and that far-future date elapses it'll appear in
your cash accounting totals when it shouldn't.   If you'll forgive my
lack of accounting vocabulary I think a much better solution is
something like:

Create an account for "unpaid invoices"
When you issue an invoice, add it here.  When the invoice is paid,
transfer the money from "unpaid invoices" to whatever "real" account
you're actually getting paid in.  The "unpaid" account is never part of
your totals as long as you're doing cash accounting; but you also get
the benefit of being able to see everything using both ways of
accounting.  (In addition, the unpaid account should always have a $0
actual balance - because whenever something is actually paid that amount
gets transfered to the other, real account.)

I'm open to the idea that this isn't perfect either, but I don't think
putting in future dates is a very safe solution at all.

3.  Using GnuCash in Windows.    Cygwin/X runs GnuCash beautifully over
SSH from my linux server.  This is really an ideal bookkeeping solution,
because my bookkeeper and I can both see the most current data from
anywhere using strong encryption.

With the singular exception of using -Y instead of -X, the instructions
from two days ago were beautiful and perfect.

And Derek - condolances.

Ben