Check printing

Simon Roberts thorpflyer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 12:30:56 EST 2006

--- Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Simon Roberts <thorpflyer at yahoo.com> writes:
> > Can I get a comma separated value file (or other spreadsheet-like)
> file
> > out of gnucash, so that I could print the checks externally?
>
> You'd have to write that, too.  (i.e. no, GnuCash doesn't do that
> currently).

Looking briefly at the developer docs, I see the "native" data format
is XML. That would be fairly easy to parse into Java (my language of
choice). I think I'll persue this option a little further. I envisage a
utility that would allow me to say something on the lines of "print
check numbers blah, blah, and blah" or "allocate sequential numbers to
blank transactions, then print the checks." The the utility would load
up an open office template (also an XML format at my last
investigation), and populate the necessary fields on as many pages as
needed before printing the results. Not entirely integrated, but
hopefully useful.

Any thoughts (indeed, to help me be lazy, any quick pointer to the XML
schema, DTD, or whatever it is?--I'm still hunting that down :)

Thanks for your input all, hopefully I might pop up again in a few
months with something vaguely useful. Who can say :)

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz