gnucash2 and opt style install

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 12 16:29:22 EST 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca>:
>
>> Does the current svn head of gnucash2 support the opt style of install?
>

> Yes...
>
>> I retrieved version 12327 from HEAD of the trunk.  I passed the
>> following to configure:
>> ./configure --enable-opt-style-install --prefix=/opt
>

> I would recommend /opt/gnucash-svn instead of /opt

Excellent recommendation.  I'd like to think I would've noticed that
when reviewing the new package ....

>> It compiles OK, but then "make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/tmp2" fails.  I
>> found the following error in its output:
>> /bin/sh ../../../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/ginstall -c
>> 'libgsf-gnome-1.la'
>> '/mnt/raid/download/computer/software/www.gnucash.org/svn/trunk/tmp2/opt/lib/libgsf-gnome-1.la'
>>
>> libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgsf-gnome-1.la' to a
>> directory not ending in /usr/local/lib
>> make[5]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
>

> Well, this is testing two different things...  opt-style and DESTDIR.
> It's quite possible that the problem is the DESTDIR installation...
>
>> And then a bunch of "leaving directory" notices and it ended.
>

> Hmm, I've not seen this problem here on my FC3 box..  I configure
>  with options "'--enable-error-on-warning' '--enable-compile-warnings'
> '--prefix=/opt/gnucash-svn' '--enable-opt-style-install' '--enable-ofx'
> '--enable-debug' '--enable-hbci'"
>
> However, I've not tested with a DESTDIR installation.  Can you try
> a regular install first and see if it works?  It's also possible that
> you're hitting the old LIBRARY_PATH DESTDIR issue, where libtool is
> trying
> to relink at install time and can't find the dependent libraries...
> However
> the error above does not support this theory.
>
> So, first test a non-DESTDIR make install (after you clean out and
> reconfigure
> to prefix /opt/gnucash-svn) and see if that works...

I did:
make distclean
svn co http:/svn.gnucash.org/repo/gnucash/trunk
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-opt-style-install --prefix=/opt/gnucash-svn
make
su
make install

The revision obtained was 12327.

This successfully installed.  So I tried setting the LIBRARY_PATH,
running ldconfig, and redoing the make install with DESTDIR. This seems
to have worked even though I set the LIBRARY_PATH incorrectly (as though
I had not selected --enable-opt-style-install).

I used the DESTDIR install to create a Slackware package.  I confirmed
that all the files that were in this package were also in the install
done by "make install".  I did not install or test in any other way this
package.  It does seem as though there is still a LIBRARY_PATH/DESTDIR
issue.

I changed to the directory /opt/gnucash-svn/bin and ran gnucash from
there (the directory is not on my PATH).  I was able to create a few
accounts, but when I tried to enter transactions, the numbers would
disappear when I left the cells by either tabbing or pressing enter.
When I selected "File-Save As", it allowed me to create a new directory
in my home, I entered a file name and clicked OK. I got an error stating
that it was unable to parse the URL; the URL being the path and file
name to which I had selected saving the data.  Both these issues seem
too obvious not to have been noticed.  Any ideas?

Mark