gnucash2 and opt style install

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 12 21:08:52 EST 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca>:
>
>> I did:
>> make distclean
>> svn co http:/svn.gnucash.org/repo/gnucash/trunk
>

> I'm not sure why you did this..  If you already have a checkout then
> all you need is "svn update".  If you don't have a tree then you can
> checkout but then you don't need the distclean..

This would be because I am new to svn (though not to revision control,
so shame on me).  However, the "co" was intelligent enough not to
download stuff I already had up to date.

>> This successfully installed.  So I tried setting the LIBRARY_PATH,
>> running ldconfig, and redoing the make install with DESTDIR. This
>> seems to have worked even though I set the LIBRARY_PATH incorrectly
>

> Did you still have the installation in /opt/gnucash-svn when you
> ran "make install DESTDIR=/tmp/gnucash"?

OOPS. Yes it was still there.  I'll have to try again, but don't have
time at the moment.

>> (as though I had not selected --enable-opt-style-install). I used the
>> DESTDIR install to create a Slackware package.  I confirmed that all
>> the files that were in this package were also in the install done by
>> "make install".  I did not install or test in any other way this
>> package.  It does seem as though there is still a
>> LIBRARY_PATH/DESTDIR issue.
>

> I suspect so..  Actually, it would be a libtool bug.

At least, I can work around it.

>> I changed to the directory /opt/gnucash-svn/bin and ran gnucash from
>> there (the directory is not on my PATH).  I was able to create a few
>> accounts, but when I tried to enter transactions, the numbers would
>> disappear when I left the cells by either tabbing or pressing enter.
>> When I selected "File-Save As", it allowed me to create a new
>> directory in my home, I entered a file name and clicked OK. I got an
>> error stating that it was unable to parse the URL; the URL being the
>> path and file name to which I had selected saving the data.  Both
>> these issues seem too obvious not to have been noticed.  Any ideas?
>

> Can you start a new thread with these issues?  Actually, these issues
> belong on -devel as they are specific g2 bugs.   Thanks.

I'll have to sign up for this list.  It will probably be late tomorrow
before that happens.  Hopefully, I may have time to actually contribute
something, even though we are moving soon.

Mark