Locale

Jeffrey Ratcliffe jrposting at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 16:02:31 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 23:05 -0800, Des Dougan wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 23:21 +0100, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 15:08 +0000, Rob Syms wrote:
> > > Well, the font itself is fine. However (this is the first time I have
> > produced a report since setting up the new PC), the UKP signs are all
> > preceded by an "A" with a hat.

> Sounds like your locale is set up to use Unicode. From a posting by
> Derek in April 2005:
>
> "make sure you're running in an iso-8859-1 locale and not a utf-8
> locale.  Check your LANG and LANGUAGE settings.  See the FAQ for more
> info"

OK. I've just learnt a little more about locales and I wonder if I have
found a little bug in Gnucash at the same time.

Firstly - setting LANG=en_GB instead of en_GB.UTF-8 got rid of the
strange characters. However, despite Gnucash acknowledging the Euro/GBP
exchange rate, all the Euro accounts were being converted as 0UKP.

If I set LC_MONETARY=en_IE at euro, then the conversions are correct, but
Gnucash prints a strange symbol instead of a Euro symbol. If I export
LC_MONETARY=de_DE, then I get "EUR" - I could live with that if all else
fails.

euro-test confirms a strange symbol with ISO8859-15, but it prints OK
(€) with UTF-8.

So:
1. How do I get a Euro symbol with Gnucash?
2. Is it a bug or a feature that changing the default currency by
setting LC_MONETARY means that the accounts with that currency get
converted to 0? Any other users there with multiple currencies? CAD/USD?

Regards

Jeff Ratcliffe