Locale

Des Dougan des at DouganConsulting.com
Tue Jan 17 00:08:52 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 22:02 +0100, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> > > produced a report since setting up the new PC), the UKP signs are all
> > > preceded by an "A" with a hat.
>
> > Sounds like your locale is set up to use Unicode. From a posting by
> > Derek in April 2005:
> >
> > "make sure you're running in an iso-8859-1 locale and not a utf-8
> > locale.  Check your LANG and LANGUAGE settings.  See the FAQ for more
> > info"
>
> OK. I've just learnt a little more about locales and I wonder if I have
> found a little bug in Gnucash at the same time.
>
> Firstly - setting LANG=en_GB instead of en_GB.UTF-8 got rid of the
> strange characters. However, despite Gnucash acknowledging the Euro/GBP
> exchange rate, all the Euro accounts were being converted as 0UKP.
>
> If I set LC_MONETARY=en_IE at euro, then the conversions are correct, but
> Gnucash prints a strange symbol instead of a Euro symbol. If I export
> LC_MONETARY=de_DE, then I get "EUR" - I could live with that if all else
> fails.
>
> euro-test confirms a strange symbol with ISO8859-15, but it prints OK
> (€) with UTF-8.
>
> So:
> 1. How do I get a Euro symbol with Gnucash?
> 2. Is it a bug or a feature that changing the default currency by
> setting LC_MONETARY means that the accounts with that currency get
> converted to 0? Any other users there with multiple currencies? CAD/USD?

Not sure if this is helpful or not, as I'm not in Europe any longer...
In Preferences, International there is a button for enabling Euro
support. Do you have that set?

Regards,

Des
--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support