problem loading gnucash on colinux

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 22 12:39:52 EST 2006

Quoting bn <aval57 at yahoo.com>:

> 2. gnucash files seem to be all in place, although
> /etc/gnucash/config only
> reads:
> ;;; -*-scheme-*-
>
> ;; Sample system-wide config file.  At the moment,
> it's empty.

Okay -- just making sure it exists...

> 3. Running gnucash from the console fails due to a
> lack of display, (which
> is what the gnome gdm provides).  Other apps, e.g.
> gimp, inkscape also fail
> similarly at the console but run fine from the gnome
> desktop.  I understand
> that I can configure a display from the console and
> launch the apps, but
> since the graphic gnucash startup screen appears in
> gnome, I doubt the
> problem has anything to do with the display.

UM, that's NOT QUITE what we mean by "run it from the console"
You should start up a terminal window and run gnucash from there.
I.e., start gnome, login to gnome, run the gnome Terminal, and
then start gnucash from the gnome terminal window.

> 4. Running gnucash in gnome shows the graphic startup
> window, with the
> following messages:

>   Checking Finance::Quote...

I presume you mean these messages show up in the splash screen, right?
That's not what we need to know.

> 5. The startup window closes, and nothing happens.  No
> error messages
> either in gnome, or on the root console.  System
> monitor shows no gnucash
> process.

Please run gnucash from a terminal.