problem loading gnucash on colinux

bn aval57 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 11:26:44 EST 2006

Thanks for the responses Elizabeth & Derek,

I guess I should elaborate a little...

1. I installed gnucash from the console (using
apt-get, as indicated
previously), no errors or warnings. 'gnucash
--version' reports "GnuCash
1.8.10'.

2. gnucash files seem to be all in place, although
/etc/gnucash/config only
reads:
;;; -*-scheme-*-

;; Sample system-wide config file.  At the moment,
it's empty.

3. Running gnucash from the console fails due to a
lack of display, (which
is what the gnome gdm provides).  Other apps, e.g.
gimp, inkscape also fail
similarly at the console but run fine from the gnome
desktop.  I understand
that I can configure a display from the console and
launch the apps, but
since the graphic gnucash startup screen appears in
gnome, I doubt the
problem has anything to do with the display.

4. Running gnucash in gnome shows the graphic startup
window, with the
following messages:

   Checking Finance::Quote...

5. The startup window closes, and nothing happens.  No
error messages
either in gnome, or on the root console.  System
monitor shows no gnucash
process.

I'll look into what config ought to read, though again
any help is greatly
appreciated.

Bahman