Capital gains

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 25 21:57:03 EST 2006

Mark Johnson wrote:
> Derek Atkins wrote:
>

>> For the record, the SVN code should auto-insert the $1509.88 split-pairs
>> based on the purchase price of the lot used for this sale.  Note that
>> I say "should"..   I've not played with this code and it's probably not
>> well-tested.
>>
> I'm trying SVN12978 today.  It did not auto-insert extra splits for a
> sell in a stock-type account.
>
> I do hope "lots" isn't the only way this could work.  In Canada, we
> calculate the gains based on the total purchase price of all the shares
> - i.e. the average price paid when we sell only a portion.
>
> Also, are the "lots" to be FIFO or LIFO?  Or configurable?

Unless the Internal Revenue Code has changed, it better be configurable,
because taxpayers are allowed to do that when filing their tax returns. That
is sufficient, since if configurable, the user may do FIFO or LIFO as he
chooses. (However if a user consistently uses LIFO or FIFO, it would be a
convenience to check a box somewhere and have it do that, at least by default.)

I know I have done that. In years when I have a great capital gain, I sell
those that have lost the most. On years when I have a capital loss, I sell
those that have made the most. (I think that is how it went.)

> Does SVN intend to support things like a "return of capital"?

 ^^-^^ 21:50:00 up 5 days, 13:17, 3 users, load average: 4.08, 4.08, 4.09