gnucash-user Digest, Vol 40, Issue 10

Mark Blakeney mark.blakeney at bullet-systems.net
Sun Jul 9 19:41:57 EDT 2006

On Monday 10 July 2006 02:00, "Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:
> The only way that VAT/GST can be apportioned automatically in the
> 1.8.x series of GC is through the "business subsystem".
>
> That means running a full-on A/P (bills you need to pay) or A/R
> (invoices your clients need to pay) setup, which may be overkill for
> your needs. GC handles varying tax rates - eg 17.5% standard rate,
>  5% reduced rate for electricity etc, or 0% for books etc. defaults
> rates are set on a per-expense-account basis.
>
> The general registers don't do anything like this.  :-(
>
> I don't know if that is different in the 1.9 series (surely 2.0 soon?)

Thanks Maf, I had worked out how to do this on the invoicing side but
you have pointed out that the analogous method on the payments side is
to use Vendor/New Bill. I was planning to use the business invoicing
system (even though I find it a bit cumbersome in gnucash - e.g. why not
provide a simple list of invoices page!?) but I was not planning to use
the "bills" subsystem as I think it is certainly too heavyweight for the
many minor misc expenses/payments I am talking about.

BTW, I am using gnucash 1.9.8 as available in current Debian sid. The
gtk2 version looks good although kmymoney seems to fit my basic needs
better atm.

--
Mark Blakeney.