gnucash-user Digest, Vol 40, Issue 10

Andrew Greig algreig at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 10 08:31:49 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 09:41 +1000, Mark Blakeney wrote:
> On Monday 10 July 2006 02:00, "Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:
> > The only way that VAT/GST can be apportioned automatically in the
> > 1.8.x series of GC is through the "business subsystem".
> >
> > That means running a full-on A/P (bills you need to pay) or A/R
> > (invoices your clients need to pay) setup, which may be overkill for
> > your needs. GC handles varying tax rates - eg 17.5% standard rate,
> >  5% reduced rate for electricity etc, or 0% for books etc. defaults
> > rates are set on a per-expense-account basis.
> >
> > The general registers don't do anything like this.  :-(
> >
> > I don't know if that is different in the 1.9 series (surely 2.0 soon?)
>
> Thanks Maf, I had worked out how to do this on the invoicing side but
> you have pointed out that the analogous method on the payments side is
> to use Vendor/New Bill. I was planning to use the business invoicing
> system (even though I find it a bit cumbersome in gnucash - e.g. why not
> provide a simple list of invoices page!?) but I was not planning to use
> the "bills" subsystem as I think it is certainly too heavyweight for the
> many minor misc expenses/payments I am talking about.
>
> BTW, I am using gnucash 1.9.8 as available in current Debian sid. The
> gtk2 version looks good although kmymoney seems to fit my basic needs
> better atm.

Hi Maf, & Mark

I use the Assets>Current assets>Checking Account to enter things like
casual purchases from parties that are not in my vendor list.  Having
set up a GST Payable account and a GST Collected Account under
Liabilities, I can do a split and just do the subtraction based on the
docket statement of GST paid.  There is an auto fill feature for
payments to the same sources (petrol stations, parking centres etc)
which is really nifty, because then the split opens automatically, but I
have to put the new figures in.

I only have 5 suppliers, around 15 clients so nothing is too tedious
yet.  Although it would be nice to have the suppliers in a drop down
list in "New Bill" rather than having to move to another box to do the
search.

Andrew Greig
Community Distributor
OpenOffice.org