spec file in gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz barfs under CentOS 4.3

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Jul 12 16:53:22 EDT 2006

At Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:38:45 -0400 Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:
>
> > I just tried to do a 'rpmbuild -ta on gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz and got the
> > message:
> >
> > rpmbuild -ta gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz
> > error: line 26: Tag takes single token only: Release:   1.FCpackage fedora-release is not installed
> >
> > I guess the spec file in gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz needs some hacking for
> > CentOS 4.3 / RHel 4 (and probably for Mandrake, Suse, and the other
> > various RPM-based distros).  I suppose I could hack it myself, at least
> > for CentOS 4.3, but I don't know enough about the other distros to
> > create a proper 'universal' spec file.
>
> Yeah, I think the spec is specific to fedora code.  That line says:
>
> %define fc_rel %(rpm -q --queryformat='%{VERSION}' fedora-release)
>
> So it's specifically looking for the fedora core release version.
> I dont know if there's a good, general way to create a short-hand
> <OS><REL> tag in an RPM.

Maybe.  A bit beyond my knowledge of spec files -- I can hack them to
get things to build (usually from odd, not partitularly compatible
distros or from large version jumps), but mostly by various sorts of
'pound to fit, file to hide' methods.  I figure I'd let someone who
knows better about the problem and leave it at that for now.

> > Doing a 'rpmbuild -ta gnucash-docs-2.0.0.tar.gz' under CentOS 4.3 worked
> > just fine though.
>
> Wait.. Did it throw an error or did it work fine?  Or did it throw
> the warning message but then still continue to build the package?

There are two .tar.gz files: gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz AND
gnucash-docs-2.0.0.tar.gz.  rpmbuild -ta gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz fails and
rpmbuild -ta gnucash-docs-2.0.0.tar.gz succeeds.

The spec file in the *docs* archive appears to NOT be fedora specific
(or any distro specific). It has very minimual dependencies -- just
Scrollkeeper and some sort of xml processing thingy (I think that is
what it is). I have a set of rpms for the documentation only, not
gnucash itself.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration