spec file in gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz barfs under CentOS 4.3

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 12 14:38:45 EDT 2006

Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:

> I just tried to do a 'rpmbuild -ta on gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz and got the
> message:
>
> rpmbuild -ta gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz
> error: line 26: Tag takes single token only: Release:   1.FCpackage fedora-release is not installed
>
> I guess the spec file in gnucash-2.0.0.tar.gz needs some hacking for
> CentOS 4.3 / RHel 4 (and probably for Mandrake, Suse, and the other
> various RPM-based distros).  I suppose I could hack it myself, at least
> for CentOS 4.3, but I don't know enough about the other distros to
> create a proper 'universal' spec file.

Yeah, I think the spec is specific to fedora code.  That line says:

%define fc_rel %(rpm -q --queryformat='%{VERSION}' fedora-release)

So it's specifically looking for the fedora core release version.
I dont know if there's a good, general way to create a short-hand
<OS><REL> tag in an RPM.

> Doing a 'rpmbuild -ta gnucash-docs-2.0.0.tar.gz' under CentOS 4.3 worked
> just fine though.

Wait.. Did it throw an error or did it work fine?  Or did it throw
the warning message but then still continue to build the package?