Involuntarily created additional account

Leslie Katz lesliek at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jul 16 16:26:43 EDT 2006

Josh Sled wrote:

> I think you're missing out on some of the value of spending the effort
> of doing accounting by not using relevant Expense accounts.  Of course,
> value is relative.  What *do* you use gnucash for?

To know easily:

1. my current cash position;
2. the extent of my current credit card debt (being no doubt too risk-averse, I've incurred no other type of debt for the last twenty years or so); and
3. the current value of each and all of my shares.

Gnucash also tells me how the current value of each and all of my shares compares to their cost of purchase, but since that comparison ignores inflation and I've held many of the shares for relatively long periods of time, I recognise that it can be a pretty crude measure of the success of the investment if I were to sell now.

I know that you consider using Gnucash for the above purposes only is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but I'm now pretty comfortable with using it and would be most disappointed if it suddenly weren't there and I had to find substitute applications.