gnucash and Postgresql

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 16 22:24:41 EDT 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:
>

>>On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:27:54PM +0200, Klaus Dahlke wrote:
>>

>>>Dear all,
>>>could someone shed a light on what will happen to the sql-backend? I
>>>found it quite helpful (especially for some reporting), but if I am
>>>right, creating a database is not maintained any longer and I have
>>>read somewhere that the sql-backend should be abundant.
>>>

>>I think you mean is "abandoned".  That's correct.  It will probably
>>disappear in some future release.
>>

>Hopefully it will be replaced by a libdbi backend so we can get PG, MySQL,
>and SQLite support.  Someone want to volunteer to do this work?

This piqued my curiousity so I looked at the libdbi homepage at Source
Forge:
http://libdbi.sourceforge.net/

It looks like a very low activity project. The last "news" is from
November 2005. The newest file in the "src" subdirectory of its CVS is 2
months old. It is currently in beta, and at this rate, doesn't look like
it will ever get to a release.

I wouldn't recommend basing a backend upon something that does not
appear to be supported. Or have I missed a more active project location
on the web?

Mark