FC5 2.0.0 crash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 25 01:09:09 EDT 2006

Quoting "charles m. gajan" <charlesgajan at earthlink.net>:

> I save the last backup .xac file as 2006.xac instead of 2006.gnucash and
> gnucash produced a message box that indicated it failed to recognize the
> file type. The main window remained open, so I tried to open it again
> and it worked. Does not include the reports that were open? If so, I
> guess that if I removed the attached file from .gnucash/books and copied
> the last backup as 2006.gnucash it would work.

Well...  The report configuration is not stored in the data file.  It is
stored in an ancilary file that is derived from the name of your data file.
When you change the name of the data file you lose your report configuration.
Or at least you lose your configuration of open reports.

So.. It didn't matter whether you copied the old backup file or just
copied "2006.gnucash"...   But "2006.gnucash" is not the same as "2006.xac"
so your "2006.gnucash" report configuration wont exist when you open
"2006.xac" -- even if 2006.xac is just a copy (or even a rename!) of
2006.gnucash.   Is that clear, or did I just confuse you?  It's kinda
late, so I hope this is clear.

Still, it would be good to have a bug report on this.   Thanks!