Gnucash Account Names - resend to gnucash-users

Bob Allen boballen at ksc.th.com
Sat Jun 3 08:23:44 EDT 2006

Bob Smits wrote:
> I'm using Gnucash 1.8.12 on a number of machines running Suse 9.3 and
> 10.0
>
> I use it for both work accounts and home accounts, and I need to be
> able to switch from one account to another.
>
> It appears that every time I use gnucash it generates files with added
> extensions denoting date and time as well as .log and .xac , making it
> confusing about which file I'm actually using. How many of these files
> will it generate - one for every time I open gnucash? Is there any way
> to get it to just overwrite the last file and not keep changing the name?
>
> (I also need to be able to take the file to work and copy it to my
> work computer, so I'd prefer just to deal with one file with the same
> name every time.)

You only need the file without the date/time extension. The .log and
.xac files can be deleted but is not recommended as you may need them to
recover from a corrupted account file. I would suggest backing them all
up and removing them from time to time in case you do need them. I'm
using 1.9.6 and I believe the files are deleted after a short time
(maybe 30 days).

Regards, Bob.