Account tree

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Mon Jun 12 09:38:01 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 08:36 -0400, Don Allen wrote:

> Is there a way to control the ordering of the account tree display in
> 1.8.12?

Sorting is done first by account code, then by account type, and then by
account name.

> So if I want the sub-accounts, e.g. my 37 asset accounts, sorted by
> account
> name, I need to edit each one to assign it an order in the display?

No.  For sorting by account name you generally need do nothing.  If you
want to sort items to match a statement and that statement does not list
the accounts alphabetically, then you generally need to number all the
accounts in that particular set.

> And if I
> later add account 'AAA', then I need to do it again to re-number each of the
> previously existing ones?

Not if you left holes in your numbering.  Its a good idea to count by
five or ten when assigning account numbers so that you can insert new
accounts at a later date.

> I hope that in the major effort that is currently in progress to update
> gnucash, the ability to specify the ordering of the account tree display as a
> preference item will be provided.

In 2.0 the default ordering is as described above.  You can also sort on
any column in the account tree just by clicking on the column title.
2.0 also has a new menu item that allows you to number/renumber any
given set of accounts.

David