Account tree

Don Allen dca at zurich.csail.mit.edu
Mon Jun 12 10:33:23 EDT 2006

David Hampton wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 08:36 -0400, Don Allen wrote:
>

>> Is there a way to control the ordering of the account tree display in
>> 1.8.12?
>>

> Sorting is done first by account code, then by account type, and then by
> account name.
>

>> So if I want the sub-accounts, e.g. my 37 asset accounts, sorted by
>> account
>> name, I need to edit each one to assign it an order in the display?
>>

> No.  For sorting by account name you generally need do nothing.  If you
> want to sort items to match a statement and that statement does not list
> the accounts alphabetically, then you generally need to number all the
> accounts in that particular set.
>

>> And if I
>> later add account 'AAA', then I need to do it again to re-number each of the
>> previously existing ones?
>>

> Not if you left holes in your numbering.  Its a good idea to count by
> five or ten when assigning account numbers so that you can insert new
> accounts at a later date.

Ah -- Beth's message led me to believe the account code was a position
number, an index. You've told me gnucash sorts by the account code (and
other fields). Very different.

Is all of the above info in the documentation? I don't recall ever
seeing it, but won't claim I've read every word. If it is, then I
deserve an RTFM. If not, what you and the other responders have provided
is very useful and it ought to be in the manual.

>> I hope that in the major effort that is currently in progress to update
>> gnucash, the ability to specify the ordering of the account tree display as a
>> preference item will be provided.
>>

> In 2.0 the default ordering is as described above.  You can also sort on
> any column in the account tree just by clicking on the column title.
> 2.0 also has a new menu item that allows you to number/renumber any
> given set of accounts.

Exactly what I want!

/Don