associating transactions from 2 imported accounts

Brendan Simon Brendan at BrendanSimon.com
Fri Jun 16 07:53:39 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have downloaded to qif files from my bank and imported them into
gnucash 1.8.10.  Some transactions are between the two accounts (eg.
transfer $100 from savings account to cheque account).  Obviously
gnucash does not associate them because it does not have enough
knowledge during the import, so one account has a transfer to the
"unspecified" account, and the other account has transfer from
"unspecified" account.

If I enter Split Mode and edit the Unspecified account in one entry to
cheque and the associated entry to saving, then I end up with duplicate
transactions in each account.  How can I associate two seemingly
independent transactions to one transaction to/from the appropriate
accounts?

The other related thing is that I want the description in the savings
account to say:
    "transfer to cheque account"
and the description in the cheque account to say:
    "transfer from savings account"

Is that possible??

Thanks,
Brendan.